The optimization for search engines or SEO is to apply various techniques to improve the presence in the results that search engines return for certain search terms to increase the productive visits on a website. In other words, it is a method of marketing a website by positioning the site on higher rank of search engine result for a relevant query. This process involves the use of images, videos, profiles and content to promote a link in the ranking of results of a search engine.
The concept of SEO began in mid-1990 when webmasters started to realize that search engines catalog web pages by specific criteria. When they saw that they could influence the index trackers in a specific way, they began to change certain aspects of their page and strategically used keywords in the links, to reach the expected results. In 2004, Google improved its protocols indexing and began working with website ranking according to 200 different indicators. They also improved their control measures to prevent abuse among optimizers that applied formulas that allow a quick way out to be in the top of the charts.
A common question among website owners is whether they should use the SEO positioning and strategy leading to attract visitors to your site or use some other existing method. Undoubtedly this practice is the most powerful ways to generate traffic to your website. However, like everything else, SEO has some advantages and disadvantages you should know before choosing a campaign. This article will list some of the pros and cons of SEO.
- Credibility and scope: A very high organic result not only exposes your site to a large number of people but is also generally perceived as the most credible or truthful.
- Greater return on investment: Although appearing on the first page of a search engine result page is free; you have to spend time and resources in optimizing your website. However, compared with other online marketing strategies such as pay per click, you don’t have to pay everytime a user will click on your site. Which means more visibility, conversion, utility and, finally, a favorable investment return.
- Results may apply in different search engines: Usually, a well-positioned website using SEO will be visible on many more platforms such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, and others.
- The results are not instant: An SEO strategy can take a long time. It may take months before you can achieve some success. Since it may take a while before you see the result, you will not be able to correct a poor job or a poorly planned campaign immediately. Such poor initial reaction time can lead to losses, both economic and time.
- Tight Competition: There are industries and, above all keywords that have stiff competition. It will also be difficult to get optimal results if you are in direct competition against companies with pockets full of money or resources. The competition in this field is also so stiff that no SEO company or hired professionals want to appear on the 12th page, even on the second page, everyone intends to be at least on the first page in the list of results.
- It is unpredictable: It is impossible to predict or guarantee positions/volume of clicks because the impact of future changes to the search algorithm is completely unknown. The algorithm of a search engine can be modified or supplanted by entirely new one, without notice. Unfortunately, it does happen very regularly, causing the game rules change and months of hard work and money are thrown away.
- There are technical requirements – A common problem is not having the resources, knowledge, and technology needed to implement certain actions of SEO, such as changes in the structure of the site or content markup.
- Investment is continuous – Unless you want to lead your competitors, you cannot take a break. Staying on top requires ongoing investment in learning, tools, content generation and obtaining links.
No need to shy away from these disadvantages, but not taken lightly by the significant advantages that give us the SEO; the goal is to understand both sides of the coin and plan based on that and based on the aims you have a short, medium and long term for your website. Integration of SEO positioning with PPC campaigns, email campaigns, and offline advertising is necessary to obtain the best result.
Check this business advice from the founder of Alibaba.